Saturday, October 11, 2014

Favorite Things (week 1)

The flea market at Porte de Vanves.
There are many flea markets scattered around Paris.  But this one holds a special place in my heart as it was my first opportunity to practice my butchered French on real citizens during my 2012 visit.  I quickly learned "combien" (how much?) and basic haggling skills.  Today the market has definitely been discovered by Americans and most vendors speak English, as well as many of the shoppers.  But the thrill of the hunt is the same.
This week I bought buttons, jewelry, old keys, and some pottery.  We also learned the hard way that when you see something you want -- buy it.  A dealer had two sets of pétanque balls (a popular game played at many parks, including Luxembourg Garden).  He was asking 30 euros each (about $40).  We initially passed on them.  Rethinking it, we came back an hour later to find both sets sold.  C'est la vie!
Parisian Buttons




No comments:

Post a Comment